The liver is such an important organ, that when damaged it may cause chaos throughout your body. The liver is the main filtration organ of the body which filters the blood of toxins and prepares them for elimination. It also produces proteins with some help from vitamin K, which are important for blood clotting. The liver is also responsible for breaking down old red blood cells and making way for new ones.
The liver is one of the rare organs that can regenerate on its own. If it’s damaged, toxins may accumulate in your blood and wreak chaos throughout your body. This is why it’s important to keep the liver clean and healthy at all times.
The liver is usually damaged by being overweight, eating an unhealthy diet, excessive drinking and some medications. Luckily, its function can be restored by consuming a tropical fruit called tamarind.
Tamarind is a fruit that has long been used as a natural remedy in Africa and Asia. It is commonly used as a natural remedy for cardiovascular problems and gastrointestinal diseases, but the fruit can also help you in cases of liver damage. By improving your digestion and detoxifying your body, tamarind will also protect your overall health.
Here’s how to prepare a recipe with the fruit that can treat most liver problems:
Mix two handful of peeled tamarind in a blender first, then add a liter of water and mix again. Strain the mixture afterwards and consume the smoothie throughout the day. Another remedy that can help you against liver damage is tamarind tea. To prepare it, put about 25 washed tamarind leaves in a pot of water, then boil the mixture for about 25 minutes and leave it to cool down afterwards. The tea should be consumed unsweetened, but you can add some honey or stevia if you don’t like the taste. Drink two cups of the tea a day – one in the morning and the other before going to bed.
Health benefits of tamarind
- Tamarind can improve your digestion and resolve most digestive problems. Just boil some of the fruit in water and take 2 tablespoons of the mixture a day to get some much-needed relief from constipation;
- Tamarind can reduce the acidity in your body and stimulate the function of the bile in the liver;
- The fruit can reduce the levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol, effectively improving your cardiovascular health;
- Consuming tamarind regularly can reduce the effects of hepatitis;
- The fruit contains antioxidants such as naringenin and phenols that can fight some types of cancer;
- Tamarind also contains a lot of vitamin C, which is important for numerous processes and can strengthen your immune system;
- Tamarind has been used as a natural remedy against dysentery;
- Drinking a cup of tamarind leaves tea can reduce malarial fever;
- Tamarind is rich in magnesium, iron, thiamin, phosphorus, fiber, calcium, copper and niacin which make it a real superfood;
- Tamarind leaves can relieve intestinal infections in children.