If you love sushi or spicy tuna rolls, you always need to know where the fish comes from or if it’s properly prepared. If it’s not, you may end up like this unfortunate man.
Improperly prepared sushi can have serious consequences on your health as this man learned. After consuming a portion of Sashimi, he felt sharp pain in his stomach which didn’t stop after a while. He went to his doctor and was stunned to learn that his body was full of parasitic tape worms!
The worms in question were Diphyllobothrium, a parasitic species present in all fish that can cause a condition called Diphylloborthriasis in some people after they consume undercooked or raw fish. Here’s a list of symptoms caused by the condition:
- Discomfort or pain in the abdomen
- Considerable weight loss
The biggest problem, however, is that the parasitic worms can be deadly! They can reach your brain and live there for years, undetected for a long period until it’s too late. This happens more often than you think, and in some cases people get infected with parasitic worms even after eating cooked fish. Have this in mind the next time you’re having fish for dinner, especially if you’ve decided to order sushi!